BENEFIT-REALISE held its annual review and planning meeting on Feb 11-13, 2020 at Nexus Hotel in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The first two days that included external stakeholders were devoted to reflect on 2019 accomplishments across 8 implementing clusters in four regions, review 2020 work plan, identify areas of collaboration, and agree on the mechanism of institutionalization. Over 50 participants, representing Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) at federal level, Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Ethiopia (EKN), Universities, Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research (EIAR), Southern Agricultural Research Institute (SARI), INGOs, BENEFIT Partnership programme (REALISE, SBN, CASCAPE-CANAG, PCU) from Addis Ababa and WUR attended the meeting. The last day was devoted to revise 2020 plan based on feedback provided and for CLUM (cluster managers) meeting.
Following an introductory session, the programme management team presented 2019 accomplishments, challenges and lessons learned. It was highlighted key success factors for 2019 accomplishments were (i) strong stakeholders' collaboration at national and regional levels (research, extension, PSNP, NGOs like GRAD, HELVATAS Ethiopia, World Vision etc); (ii) availability of knowledge and different technologies that can be tested for local adaptation (EIAR & RARIs); (iii) existence of knowledge, experience and expertise within BENEFIT programmes; (iv) interest of farmers to use improved agricultural technologies; and (v) team work and commitment of programme staff.
Major challenges raised in 2019 implementation period included late onset, shortage and unpredictable nature of rainfall, pest problem (fall armyworm and locust), shortage of quality seeds for some crops/or varieties, lack of well-established RuSACCo and the fact that many of PSNP beneficiaries are resource poor (landlessness, lack of capital for inputs esp. FHHs). Sufficient time was allocated to discuss on common challenges and possible solutions the programme should consider in the coming year.
The second day was devoted to hearing 2020 plans, that focus on demonstration, pre-scaling and scaling support, woreda plan support, strengthening linkages between seed producers, service providers and markets, provision of evidences to policy makers (policy dialogue, in-depth study report), presentations of evidence-based programme results, developing better strategies for effective engagement of youth in the target woredas, documentation and sharing, and institutionalization process.
1. BENEFIT-REALISE 2019 achievements, focus on 2020' by Remko Vonk, BENEFIT-REALISE Coordinator from WUR
2. 2019 progress and objective of the workshop by Dr. Mulugeta Diro, BENEFIT-REALISE Deputy Manager
3. Segmentation for customized extension: REALISE experience was given by Dr. Tewodros Tefera, BENEFIT-REALISE Manager
4. "Extension System in Ethiopia: Refection on current challenges, current reforms and changes, extension package formulation and targeting" was given by Dr. Chimdo Anchala, Senior Director of Production & Productivity, Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA)
5. "Resilient Seed System: The case of PSNP/REALISE beneficiaries" by Dr. Mulugeta Diro, BENEFIT-REALISE Deputy Manager
6. "Seed Security for Food Security" by Dr. Amsalu Ayana, BENEFIT ISSD Manager
7. "Food Security: Consideration for BENEFIT-REALISE" by Ramko Remko Vonk, BENEFIT-REALISE Coordinator
The participants had an opportunity to discuss the value of segmentation in the extension system, how to critically evaluate our intervention's contribution verses target reaching, meaningful collaboration, training best practices, farmer targeting in scaling activities, target for yield increase, beneficiary reporting, staff retention, seed availability, and strengthening platforms to share experiences that will ultimately contribute to PSNP HHs self-sufficiency.