Piloting successful agricultural best fit practice on-farm on a larger number of farmers and bigger plot of land to assess the scalability including feedback from farmers and stakeholders, labour and input availability, market access and demand, agricultural potential, before full scaling. Relevant stakeholders are identified, share tasks and implement the pre-scaling activities.
Success of scaling increased through targeting of practices at certain groups of farmers and certain geographical areas based on development pathways and recommendation domains. Development pathways depend upon the comparative advantages that exist in a particular location mainly based on agricultural potential, access to markets, and population density while recommendation domains can be identified using identifiers such as agro-ecological suitability, farmers’ resource endowment, location (distance from market and services), and culture of the society. This is as opposed to the assumption that each (set of) practice(s) can be successfully adopted by every farmer in every locality.
To test this approach every cluster will carry out pre-scaling on scaling of innovations or best fit practices involving 50 or more farmers who are selected on the basis of development pathways and recommendation domains. The pre-scaling will be piloted together with relevant stakeholders whereby REALISE facilitates the process of collaboration between stakeholders and supports the scaling process.
- What capacity building is required?
- Is the innovation well documented?
- Which location do we select on the basis of the development pathway?
- Which participants do we select on the basis of the recommendation domain?
- Are there conditions in place that can block (i.e. not solvable by CASCAPE) scaling-up- i.e. oversupply, no infrastructure?
- The development pathway(s) and recommendation domain(s) – when analysed are there specific, well defined domains for which this practice is applicable?
- Which conditions should be in place for scaling-up - i.e. description of conducive biophysical environment, necessary input supplies, micro-finance?
At the end of the pre-scaling a joint evaluation will be carried out. When the pilot has been successful, responsibility can be handed over to the MoANR and BoA to implement in PSNP woredas as a full scaling.